THOUGHT OF THE DAY

If you tell him it can't be done, he will show you it can.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Antique Equipment Collector Item-Milo Triplex Dumbbell


On my recent spur of the moment two day trip with David to Chicago, a client he has worked with for several years asked if he would be able to pick up a special item for him. I always love listening to these one sided conversations and watching the expression on his face. Knowing David as I do he doesn't like to say "No" and doesn't understand sometimes why people buy what they do but I always explain and compare it too all the figure skating items he has purchased for me over the years. Although my collection is no longer really a good comparison probably but everything is collectible. Another man's trash is someone's treasure.

I always enjoy going a little further and finding out what the history is on an item. When I first saw the exchange of this item I thought it looks like the circus sideshow strong man dumb bells. Getting a closer look this Milo Triplex was one of the first of it's kind in the early 1900's.

Further historical significance on this can be read through a paper written by Jan Todd, Ph.D. entitled, "From Milo to Milo-History of Barbells, Dumbbells and Indian Clubs" that is a part of the la84foundation.org sports library.

Thanks Tim C for the interesting experience and history lesson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Milo barbell just like this one. May I ask if you know the current market value? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I would give 500-600 if its complete
Goat927@gmail.com

Goalder Transportation said...

Sorry we picked up for a client for his collection. Have no clue how much it is worth. Sure to the enthusiast its priceless.